Share it now!
The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step - Article by Nitu Malladi
- Stay Motivated: You can't lose 50 pounds in a month, but you can lose five pounds in a month if you stick to your plan.Understand where you are now. What is your starting point? Set a game plan for each week. How much weight do you want to lose per week? Don't weigh yourself every single day or you will become obsessed with your weight.
- Stay Mentally strong: Whenever you begin to slip,keep telling yourself that you're determined to stick to your plan so you can reach your goal.Keep an image in your head, like mental before and after photos.Stick a photo or representation of this goal on the fridge to motivate you.Motivational quotes, index card that lists your reasons for dieting in your purse or wallet, so you can refer to it any time you forget why you're doing the diet in the first place.
- Reward yourself for reaching each milestone: Your rewards need not be food related, yet patting your back each time you make progress, with a little goody would definitely boost your morale and keep you focused on moving ahead. A pair of shoes, a new dress, a book to read, new gym wear. These all are non food related rewards which would keep. the motivation on.
- Don't diet alone: This will make it easier for you to stay on track, because you will have someone there to encourage you. Also accountability works a big way for achieving targets, a fitness coach or a Trainer can be of immense help. Also understand the basics of how a diet works, it will be easy for you to maintain the body weight later.
- Avoid Temptation: Don't skip a meal just because you feel guilty for indulging the night before.This will actually get you more off track.If you have a busy schedule, try to plan when you'll have your meals in advance. This will help you avoid tempting foods that you may come across during the time of a skipped meal.
- Get rid of the unhealthy foods in your house: Though you shouldn't have to throw out all of the foods in your fridge and pantry, if you minimize the unhealthy foods in your home, you will be less likely to eat them. Replace your unhealthy foods with healthy ones. Get rid of your ice cream and replace it with yogurt or fruit popsicles. You should still always keep some snacking options in your home.
- Manage your eating when you're out: The trick is to not think, "Oh, I'm going out tonight, so I'm going to completely break my diet and pick it up again tomorrow." Though you will be faced with more temptations if you're out at a party or going to dinner with your friends, you don't have to completely give up on your diet for a night.Eat before you go out to a party.Bring snacks with you wherever you go. If you're at a place that has few healthy options, like a movie theatre, bring a bag of almonds, grapes, or trail mix with you to avoid snacking on buttery popcorn.Choose the healthiest options of what you do see at dinner. If you're out for dinner, pick the healthier items on the menu, like grilled chicken, brown rice, or salad, instead of the most greasy or high-fat options.
- Eat at home as much as you can: Eating at home is the easiest way to make sure to avoid temptation. If you're cooking at home, you can control everything that goes into your menu. When you're eating out, though you can choose healthier options, you won't have as much control over what you eat.Become a master chef, If you develop a love of cooking, you'll be more motivated to cook and will be excited to find new healthy recipes.Once you develop your cooking skills, if a friend asks you out to dinner, you can offer to stay in and cook instead.
- Don't Punish Yourself: There's no point starting a diet with the intention of eating food you don't enjoy just because they'll make you skinny.Being on a diet doesn't mean that you should eat food that you normally hate, but that you should discover new and healthier foods that can help you shed some pounds. Avoid the food you hate. If you just can't stand the taste of tofu or just really hate brown rice, don't torture yourself by making yourself eat it.
- Don't go hungry: You won't be able to stick to your diet if you find yourself so hungry that any food at all sounds appealing. If you're hungry, then you're much less likely to make rational decisions about what to eat next. Being hungry will also make you feel cranky, weak, and tired, and generally negative.Always keep healthy snacks with you wherever you go.
- Indulge once in a while: In addition to rewarding yourself for a job well done every once in a while, you should just take little mini-breaks from your diet and indulge every once in a while so you don't feel so trapped in your new routine. As long as indulging doesn't send you on a downward eating spiral, it will only make you feel better every once in a while.
Share it now!